Sunday, October 05, 2008


EMILY DICKINSON--Thank you Stephanie for the book of poems. She definitely influenced me. I try to keep her style of brevity in my poems. Unfortunately, when I post them on this blog the format changes and the lines are all run together most of the time. Even when I try to edit them it doesn"t work. I asked Angie to help but she gets frustrated with me. Anyways....

I got introduced to Emily Dickinson's poems when I was in high school. I had a boyfriend who was on the swim team and I used to watch him swim alot. I think he was a year older than me and that was really cool. The funny thing is I can't remember his name for the life of me. (maybe because there were several going on at once!--those were the days--ha!)

You know, back then, in the prehistoric times in which I grew up--there were no computers, dvds, ipods, play stations, etc., etc. So, even athletes read classic poetry. I'm sure you guys who were born in the 70's and early 80's can relate to that as well.

Here's one of my favorites. I'm sure it's a familiar one to most of you.


If I can stop one heart from breaking,

I shall not live in vain;

If I can ease one life the aching,

Or cool one pain,

Or help one fainting robin

Unto his nest again

I shall not live in vain.

2 Comments:

At 8:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that poem! And I think your poetry is wonderful too!

I'm glad you're enjoying the book.
Love you and praying for you.

Stephanie~

 
At 6:01 PM, Blogger Kim said...

Love you too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home